Sunday, November 16, 2014

Foliage Follow Up November 2014

It's November Foliage Follow Up. I'm sure some of you have great fall foliage to show. Me? The trees up here are mostly bare already. Winter is coming and I'm not happy about it.

But I have all winter to grouse (and I probably will). Today is all about the show. Well, the show last Tuesday. The weather for Sunday is predicted to be nice but Saturday is iffy so I took these photos ahead of time and just scheduled this post for the 16th. It's cheating, I know. Deal with it.


First up a non-traditional look at my Cornus Garden Glow. The sky was awfully nice on Tuesday and I couldn't resist some artistic photos.

See the nearly bare trees?


Closer to the ground my Carolina Allspice (Calicanthus floridus) is still holding on to her leaves and has painted them for the season.


While I'm in the backyard my Viburnum cardinal candy is dripping with berries. I hope the birds will eat them at some point.


The birds will feast on my holly (Ilex Blue something) but only after the berries have been frozen. The robins and the cedar waxwings go bonkers over these in late winter. I can only hope they like the Viburnum then, too.


I don't have that problem with berries on my Elderberry Sambucus Black Lace. The berries barely last a few days before the birds eat them. 


The leaves on Black Lace are starting to fall, revealing some interesting bark. This is a plant I bought based on incorrect information at the local garden center but decided to plant anyway. I'm glad I did. I'm really enjoying it. Of course I wish it had more room and more sun so it bloomed better but I had to squeeze it in where I could find space. Damn these small Boston area lots! 


I'm not sure why but I love this shot of my gold threadleaf cypress. It looks almost like I could brush aside the dangling branches and break through to a secret garden. Or maybe I'm just overly tired.


When The Husband found a plant that had the common name Hoarny Goat Weed he teased me that we had to buy it. It's not safe to tease me. Now we have several varieties of Epimedium. They've proven to be a nice, low growing, shade tolerant plant.


It seems I have several low growing plants that are still green. This is lemon thyme, which is doing wonderfully around the stones under my garden hose reel.


And this is a low growing sedum, I think this one is Autumn Fire. It will color up with some red as the temperatures drop.


Last, but definitely not least, a purple leaf sage. This plant has performed very nicely in a pot all summer. I  hope it overwinters.

Thanks to Pam at Digging for this meme.

1 comment:

  1. The gold threadleaf cypress is indeed beautiful, just the thing to warm up a cold winter day. Thanks for sharing your foliage pics!

    ReplyDelete