Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day October 2014

This might well be the last Garden Bloggers Bloom Day of 2014 that features outside plants. I better start fertilizing the Anthuriums so I'll have some winter blooms to post!

A lot of my blooms this month are from annuals.


My fall pansies (that I will leave all winter and get to enjoy again in the spring). These particular ones look almost psychedelic.



And, of course, I have a couple of mums, in bright, cheerful colors.


And this annual. I'm not sure what it is, but I LIKE it. It's had a nice lloonngg bloom period, too. If I see it next year I'll be sure to buy it again.

On to the perennials.


This Coreopsis redshift has done really well this year.


I added this Helenium Mardi Gras just recently. I have one in another spot where it's kind of hidden and I wanted one up front. Does it count if I bought it in bloom just a few weeks ago?


I hope so. Cause if not I can't count this Solidago spacelata Golden Fleece. I'm hoping it's one of the less aggressive ones. I hear such good things about Solidago as a plant for native organisms (like the tiny wasp in this image) but bad things about them taking over. This one is planted in the back yard where Piper, our dog, can potentially do damage. She does sometime like to run and dig (hence the support structure -  not because the plant needs it but for protection against the fuzzy menace.).


The fuzzy menace, herself. Unlike me, she likes the change in the weather and looks forward to spending more time outside, especially when it snows!


My Vernonia angustifolia Plum Peachy is almost done but the last of the butterflies are still finding a few blooms. Like the American Lady (Vanessa virginiensis) above and the out-of-focus Monarch (Danaus plexippus) below.



And I have a very few blooms left on Buddleia. Also a nice stopover plant for migrating Monarchs (Ok, I admit it, the photo is from a week ago but I've just been eagerly waiting a chance to post it and now's a good time, right?).


My Aster (Symphotricium) October Skies is still in it's full glory.


As are most of my Gaura (which really don't photograph well except on very, very still days, which we don't often have here at The Edge).


I'm even getting some reblooming on this tiny thrift (Armeria Amada Rose) that I have tucked between the bricks edging the bed and a small bird bath.

That's it for my garden this month. Thanks to Carol at May Dreams for this meme!

5 comments:

  1. Greetings from Barbados. Very pretty flowers, I wish I had them in my garden as well. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Barbados? I would think you would be able to grow gardens full of lush, colorful plants. I'll be happy to swap my plants for your climate!

      Delete
  2. Diana it looks like your blooms are still going strong and you have so many. Mine are fading fast and becoming dots in the landscape soon to be gone I fear...so I will take delight in yours especially my favorite pansies which I did not get to plant this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This month is a bit of deceptive advertising - most of my garden is done for the season. Selective photography makes it look a lot greener.

      Delete
  3. Lovely flowers! And Piper is beautiful!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete